My friend sent me a couple of images from Hadith Book and a video and asked to comment on that. The whole stuff was about our Prophet’s (pbuh) marriage with Hz Ayesha (r). Along with this stuff he argued:
“For us as Muslims to reply to a non Muslims that it is a matter of faith sometimes puts us on a defensive mode. They say… he married a nine year old. As a Muslim for a fellow Muslim -I don’t want to get into a debate but as a Muslim to a non Muslim I either prove – yes she was nine but matured or no she was 18/19 as mentioned in some Ahadith…Today people apply logic and say you guys are wrong. We claim… no! we are right, please prove us wrong”.
The Prophet Muhammad’s (pbuh) marriage with Hz Ayesha (r) is one of the most significant matters need to be understood in its true perspective. What I have realized is, the true understanding of this matter purely depends on Faith and to some extent on rational approach.
With an absence of faith and rationality this matter can’t be clarified as the way it’s difficult to make a blind person understand what colors are and how exactly they look like?
So the faith is:
1) It was command of Almighty Allah to our Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and he obliged.
2) This command should be looked through Prophetic Perspective but generally people think in a way as if the command was a general one.
3) Since the life and actions of a Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is meant for the entire humanity and for all time to come, so there should be some specific instructions and cultural-based initiatives to universalized a his (pbuh) actions as ideal and authentic reference for all time to come.
Through this perspective in depth study of society, culture, norms and the way a civilization is formed and take different shapes is quite essential. Without comprehensive efforts understanding of the reality of matter is simply impossible.
4) The life of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is an ideal. His high moral standard was so impeccable that the Creator Himself testifies in the Quran as وَ اِنَّکَ لَعَلَیٰ خُلُقٍ عَظیم… and everyone in Mecca, Medina in fact in the whole of Arabian Peninsula and beyond was a living witnessee to his (pbuh) sound and elevated characters. With such an prominent background of a Messenger of God (pbuh), the only justifiable act is to think positively and understand its logic, rationality and the moral behind.
The rational approach:
1) In the matters of faith some aspects of it can’t be understood unless viewed in their right perspectives. Owing to geographical and atmospheric conditions of Arab region a girl child usually attains her maturity very early as compared to rest of the places of the world. So, in view of the maturity factor, the age factor doesn’t stand that strong.
2) In Islam age limit has not been specified for marriage, even today in Arab and in other regions of the world people get marry with huge age differences. This aspect need to be researched and understood through geographical, cultural and sociological perspectives.
3) In any civilized society there always remain difference in human understanding, but generally people go, adopt, understand and believe in a matter which has backing of understanding of knowledgeable persons and its utility.
For example it is quite impossible to make everyone understand how the scientific inventions have been ensured? Since they all have backing of sound reasoning of knowledgeable persons (scientists) and utility (people get benefits from those inventions) so neither anyone doubts nor questions any invention.
4) This marriage-age aspect needs to be looked through knowledge and utilitarian perspectives. As far knowledge, it’s a matter pertain to human nature, everyone should acquaint himself / herself with knowledge that help understand the realities. As far utilitarian aspect, not only this but the whole life of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is an ideal for entire humanity.
The marriage with Hz Ayesha (r) at a young age and later her contributions with regard to ideological ( She is among only a few Companions of the Prophet (pbuh) who have narrated most number of Ahadith, according to authentic sources she has more than 2000 narrated Ahadith to her credit. Again, around 200 men and women have been benefited from her knowledge and intellectual abilities according to Imaam Zohri) and familial affairs (sex, marital life, health, cleanliness, hygiene) are simply outstanding, that without marriage with Prophet (pbuh) all these contributions wouldn’t have possible. She had lived a long life after the demise of Prophet (pbuh) as a noble scholar and an authentic source of guidance.
We humbly invite, in particular, the skeptical strata to come forward and adhere to the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) to experience the utilitarian aspects of his exemplary life.
I think now there is no need of clarifying what’s Hz Ayesha (r)’s age was at the time of marriage, as in the cases of both nine and eighteen years, more or less, the age-difference factor remains the same. The attainment of maturity should be in focus. If this is proved, the question of marrying a woman, regardless of her age, doesn’t arise.
As far the age of marriage, it has not been specified, the wisdom behind an unspecified age for marriage is quite appropriate issue to address and debate. If we succeed in carrying out an ideologically, scientifically and logically fit studies and discussions, the world is sure to lend it’s ears to get convinced about marrying a woman regardless of her age. I think this beneficial aspect from Prophet’s (pbuh) marriage with Hz Ayesha (r) can be drawn apart from looking at the matter through Prophetic Perspectives as discussed.
Lastly, when the Almighty Allah says:
… لَا تَرۡفَعُوٓاْ أَصۡوَٲتَكُمۡ فَوۡقَ صَوۡتِ ٱلنَّبِىِّ…
… do not raise your voices above the voice of the Prophet (pbuh). (Al-Hujurat : 2)…..
it implies, we should make the world understand the prerequisites of faith….It means we should surrender our senses to the rights of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and make the world understand the wisdom behind Prophetic initiatives and their beneficial aspects. It all depends on how confident you are on Islam being the only acceptable religion and how far the love of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) has conquered your heart.
© Muhammad Abdullah Javed – August 2017